Friday, November 25, 2011

Collins Variations

Three cheers for the classic long drink: the Collins!  One of my favorites, especially for lazy weekend afternoons.  Here are two straightforward riffs on the basic recipe:

San Domingo Collins
2 oz gold rum (I used an El Dorado 5 Year Demerara, but Barbados 5 Year would be even better)
1 oz pineapple syrup
Juice of 1/2 lime

Pour into a tall glass filled with ice and stir generously.  Fill with soda water, give another good stir, and sip.

Picard Collins
2 oz London Dry gin (Boodles, of course)
1 oz Dubonnet Rouge
1 dash rich simple syrup
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Same procedure as the previous recipe.

Yes, the second is named after Jean-Luc, hence revealing my nerd heritage.  As a kid, I used to love ST:TNG; as an adult, I've found it wonderful that Patrick Steward (as stalwart an English actor as could be) played a Frenchman for seven seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment