Sunday, January 1, 2012

That Old Voodoo Magic

Here's a drink that had to happen after yet another Service Industry New Year.  The name comes from its similarity in mixing to the Corpse Reviver #2, perhaps one of my favorite "forgotten cocktails".

1 oz aged rhum agricole (I used Depaz)
1 oz orange curacao (I used Torres because it's what I had, but GrandmaMarie Brizard, or any other brandy-based orange liqueur would do)
1 oz Dubonnet
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
3-4 drops absinthe (seriously, drops)

Shake and strain into a cocktail glass (or coupe).  Garnish with a lime wheel and smile.

This is an incisive, herbal, round and honeyed punch of a drink, and I am damned proud of it.  Especially the name; I love a name that you just have to explain.  I might try a variation with aged tequila in place of rhum and Cocchi Americano in place of Dubonnet.

Happy 2012.  Welcome to the end of the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment