Thursday, September 29, 2011

3rd-Floor-Patio Punch

We're moving soon, and I'm going to miss our patio.  Where I live, the weather has been wonderful as summer fades into fall, and I wanted a drink that would suit.  Plus, I've gotta clean out the fridge, right?

1 oz pisco (I used Capel, whih is easy to find)
3/4 oz elderflower liqueur (homemade, but you could use St. Germain)
3/4 oz pear-infused cognac (I used an inexpensive apertif brand made by L'Heraud, which seems to be tough to find online, although others are available)
1/4 oz fresh lime juice
1 dash absinthe

Muddle the pisco with about 1/4 medium cucumber, seeded (or seedless) and then add the remaining ingredients.  Shake well with ice to pulverize the vegetation, then double-strain into a chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with a half cucumber wheel.  If you want, you can get fancy and "season" the glass with the absinthe; I'm convinced it doesn't affect the flavor, but it's a traditional flourish for those what wants.

Equally good, as it turned out, was the obviously-named Patty Collins:

Take the above ingredients, then double the lime juice and cut the absinthe entirely.  Pour over rocks in a Collins glass, then add soda water to taste; about 2 oz was perfect for me.  Garnish with a cucumber wheel or two.

Maybe a bit late for the season, but tasty, both of em.

No comments:

Post a Comment