Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Cougar Bite

Just to establish some credentials, this is my best-selling contribution to the drink list at the restaurant where I work.  The others will be revealed later.

1 1/2 oz bourbon (a good spicy bourbon is best, proof-strength even better)
1 oz red vermouth (I like a good bittersweet version, say Cinzano Rosso or Punt e Mes)
3/4-1 oz green Chartreuse (I prefer more to less, but I like the stuff; if it's too much for you, the yellow version is an acceptable substitute)

Stir and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with a lemon twist.

I just love this drink.  It's dark, old-school, and wonderfully layered.  The idea was sparked by a conversation about the equally lovely Tipperary Cocktail, but the name is derived from one of my favorites, the Widow's Kiss.  This version is somewhat more... intense.

No comments:

Post a Comment