Saturday, February 22, 2014

Housecat

I have to admit that this is not strictly an original creation.  A recipe for the Horsecar popped up in one of my feeds, and I misread the name, but liked the new one so much that it needed a cocktail to suit.  The original is a tasty sort of inverse-proportions Perfect Manhattan, but I thought the new name deserved something plusher.  This being a very old-school drink, I figured on an old-school treatment of swapping the core spirit, and the result turned out well indeed after a couple additional tweaks.

1 oz brandy (Cognac would be a fine choice, but Armagnac a better one; don't skimp on quality here)
1 oz dry vermouth (Dolin for me)
1 oz sweet vermouth (Carpano Antica; again, not the place to go cheap)
1 dash Cherry Heering
3 dashes aromatic bitters (Angostura)

Stir and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with a cherry or orange peel (or both) but only if you're not feeling lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment