Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Remedy

Keeping with the trend of slightly-fancified classics, here's a twist on the Negroni.  I named it after the hue, which looks to me precisely like that of cherry-flavored cough syrup (tastes better though, I promise, and it'll still make you feel better).

1 1/2 oz London Dry (Beefeater 24 this time, because it was on sale)
1/2 oz orange curacao (Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao is my new hands-down favorite)
1/2 oz Campari
1/2 oz Cocchi Americano
2 dashes orange bitters (Regan's No. 6 recommended)
2 dashes The Bitter Truth Celery Bitters (another hands-down favorite brand)

Stir and strain into a cocktail glass.  Garnish with a lemon twist.

I have to admit, I thought this was a really clever idea until a finicky little voice reminded me that it's basically identical to the Lucien Gaudin Cocktail found in Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails.  Crud.  But I will still take credit for the minor differences.  To make the former, use triple sec in place of curacao, dry vermouth in place of Cocchi Americano, omit the bitters, and garnish with orange peel.  I like this better; it's got a nice bitter edge and isn't quite as sweet.  Sorry, Lucien.

No comments:

Post a Comment